[H-GEN] In Memory of Gary Curtis

Clinton Roy clinton.roy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 17:42:14 AEST 2016

I realise not everyone is interested in reading planet.humbug.org.au, but I
think this post is important enough to copy to the mailing list. The
original version is
https://clintonroy.wordpress.com/2016/10/16/in-memory-of-gary-curtis/ and I
would appreciate any corrections or feedback.

This week we learnt of the sad passing of a long term regular attendee of
Humbug, Gary Curtis. Gary was often early, and nearly always the last to
leave.

One  of Gary’s prized possessions was his car, more specifically his LINUX
number plate. Gary was very happy to be our official airport-conference
shuttle for linux.conf.au keynote speakers in 2011 with this number plate.

Gary always had very strong opinions about how Humbug and our Humbug
organised conferences should be run, but rarely took to running the events
himself. It became a perennial joke at Humbug AGMs that we would always
nominate Gary for positions, and he would always decline. Eventually we
worked out that Humbug was one of the few times Gary wasn’t in charge of a
group, and that was relaxing for him.

A topic that Gary always came back to was genealogy, especially the phone
app he was working on.

A peculiar quirk of Humbug meetings is that they run on Saturday nights,
and thus we often have meetings at the same time as Australian elections.
Gary was always keen to keep up with the election on the night, often with
interesting insights.

My most personal memory of Gary was our road trip after OSDC New Zealand,
we did something like three days of driving around in a rental car, staying
at hotels along the way. Gary’s driving did little to impress me, but he
was certainly enjoying himself.

Gary will be missed.

--
-- Clinton Roy, Software Engineer with Bloomberg L.P.