[H-GEN] Ubuntu-16.10-beta2 resolves problems on Dell XPS-15

Anthony Thyssen a.thyssen at griffith.edu.au
Wed Oct 5 10:01:10 AEST 2016

Having another look at the XPS-15 2016 model on the Dell web site I
couldn't see where the vents were!   Though the video seemed to show a very
different hinge that precluded the use of any port or vent along the back
edge (which is where it was becoming blocked.

I did get to see an Inspiron at JB HiFi and the only change I saw that that
made to its vent system was to get the display to open a few millimetres
further away from the body, so that the rear vent wasn't completely
blocked, even though the display was still opening in front of that vent.
They did not have a XPS model, and like I said I could not see the vents in
there online images.

Still if you are not experiencing any problem..  Great.   If it is like you
say, and I did get to see it in real life, I might have even gone with it
rather than go with the second hand one (its 1/2 a year out of warranty and
not used a lot)

  I would love to take a look at it sometime. Perhaps at Humbug meeting,
though I only usually go maybe once or twice a year.

Suspend has always had issues on linux laptops.   It rarely does exactly
what you want it to, out of the box.  I also would not trust a suspended
laptop when putting it in a carry bag, even if it was running windows.  I
always double check that all indicator lights are off before bagging.