[H-GEN] Suggestions for help building a computer

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Wed May 11 23:00:08 EDT 2016

On Thu, 2016-05-12 at 12:31 +1000, Simon Blomberg wrote:
> My son wants to build a gaming machine. He has some idea of what
> specs/components he wants to use, but has no experience with handling
> hardware. (I'm more software oriented and don't have any experience
> with fixing/building machines either.) Can anyone on the list suggest
> a company/shop/etc. in Brisbane who would be prepared to build a
> machine either with him (under supervision) or for him (to his
> specs)?

Building hardware isn't hard, and if you choose carefully could even
save you money, albeit at the expense of a some time.

For work related stuff I usually buy from UMart (www.umart.com.au) and
as far as I can tell so does everyone else.  The price is always
reasonable and they'll tell you when to come in and pick it up.

If price is an absolute priority use a search engine like www.staticice
.com.au.  If service is a priority (like advice on what to buy) go to a
computer shop.  On the south side GameDude and Concord Computers seem
happy with people spending hours asking questions at the sales desk.

When it comes to assembling the thing, be *very* careful with the
motherboard and cards.  One slip of the screw driver and a surface
mount component will be damaged, destroying it without recourse to
warranty.  If possible get the shop to install the CPU - pins are easy
to bend.  UMart will do this for free.