[H-GEN] SSHFS - Local caching and syncing

Clinton Roy clinton.roy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 01:02:13 EDT 2016

On 1 June 2016 at 13:43, Gary Curtis <gazilla at gmail.com> wrote:

> They are of the opinion that sshfs does some sort of local caching, such
> that changes to a file at the server end are not reflected at the client,
> whether or not the file is being currently edited.

I don't use sshfs on a regular basis, but it definitely has caching:

http://linux.die.net/man/1/sshfs

The caching is on by default, it looks easy enough to turn off, but I
imagine performance would be impacted.

> 1) The unrecognised changes at the server end may result in a lost write.

All network file systems are more fragile than all non network file
systems, so I guess technically yes.

> 2) The local caching at the client end may constitute a copy of the file,
> breaching privacy and/or copyright concerns.

Technically correct, I guess. There were/are explicit riders in Australian
copyright for proxy servers (only in the education sector, I think).

But the computer is mostly a copying machine, with a keyboard and screen
attached. Even on a local file system, the files will be copied into ram
for the file system, then copied into the users memory space to edit the
files.

IMO these are both spurious claims to stop you using sshfs.

--
Clinton Roy
Software Developer