[H-GEN] Suggestions for a new host for www.humbug.org.au

Greg Black gjb at yaxom.com
Sun Feb 28 23:13:57 EST 2016

On 29 February 2016 at 12:13, Russell Stuart <russell-humbug at stuart.id.au>
wrote:

> I am after input from people in the club who can vouch for an VM
> provider.  (Reply here.)  The VM needs a minimum 10G of disk, and 512MB
> of RAM, 1TB of bandwidth per month, a working responsive ticketing
> system, and a public IPv4 address that allows us to send and receive on
> ports 25 (email), 53 (dns), 80 (http), 443 (https), 465 (smtps) and 587
> (email submission), and all ports above 1024.  The major load is the
> backups, which scan the entire file system once per hour.

​Digital Ocean's basic service offers what you ask for (but with double the
disk) at $5 US per month. I've used them for quite some time with zero
problems. The one time I used support (for a pebkac issue), they were
excellent. They have a 99.99% uptime SLA. They have locations in lost of
places, but the best bandwidth for us here is at their Singapore location.

They do have a TOS, but it essentially is aimed at abusive outgoing stuff,
not the sort of traffic we would generate. Their links are all 1Gbps.

I recommend them strongly.
​