[H-GEN] 3D printers

Daniel Devine devine at ddevnet.net
Thu Feb 11 18:26:19 EST 2016

On 2016-02-12 08:18 AM, Tim Kent wrote:

> Not sure what is proprietary about 1.75mm filament?
>
> The extruder, fans and steppers look like they could be sourced easily if you need bits.
>
> It uses Cura so no problems there, although the controller may be a locked-down black box?
>
> I don't think it would be smart for a school or non-technical person to buy one of these, but if you can support/repair it yourself then why not?

Tim hit the nail on the head.

I don't think this printer has DRM'd filament rolls but I'd argue that
the fix is under $50 (replace controller with RAMPS).

As far as fixing the 3D printer it's really not a problem if you're
somewhat technically inclined. In fact people have been buying Wanhao
Duplicator i3's, the machine that this seems to be a clone of - which
itself is a cheap Chinese machine and contributing fixes back into the
open. I don't know if the inlcuded controller can be freed but at the
end of the day you can just replace it with a cheap RAMPS kit.

As long as the printer works to a minimum standard you can just print
out some parts, scavenge parts from the old machine and build a new
one... But if you're not up for that then I'd suggest giving this a
miss.

--
Daniel Devine