[H-GEN] help! problem with real time clock

Clinton Roy clinton.roy at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 02:55:05 EST 2016

On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 at 11:14 Peter Robinson <pjr at itee.uq.edu.au> wrote:

> I have an old Raspberry Pi lying around and want to
> cold: rtc-ds1307: probe of 1-006f failed with error -5
> warm: rtc-ds1307 1-006f: rtc core: registered mcp7941x as rtc0

In my (somewhat limited) experience a common problem with raspberry PI's
are the power supply, so I'd start with trying a different power supply and
see if you can reproduce it.

Another possibility, if the hardware or kernel driver is somewhat flakey,
and if the kernel driver is compiled as a module, you can try reinserting
it?

Something like:

#!/bin/bash
for i in {1..10}
do
    modprobe foo
    sleep 0.5
    if [ -e /dev/rtc0 ] ; then exit 0 ; fi
    rmmod foo
done

logger "gave up trying to insert rtc module"
exit -1

done

--
-- Clinton Roy, Software Engineer with Bloomberg L.P.