[H-GEN] EFI dual boot with systemd-bood

Andrew Ridgway armistace at riseup.net
Sun Sep 27 00:00:36 EDT 2015

On 27 September 2015 11:39:01 am AEST, Russell Stuart <russell-humbug at stuart.id.au> wrote:
>[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
>]
>[ Unix-related topics. Posts from non-subscribed addresses will vanish.
>]
>
>On Sat, 2015-09-26 at 21:11 +1000, Andrew Ridgway wrote:
>> tl;dr: has anyone chain loaded 64bit windows 10 through systemd-boot
>> windows being on a completely separate hard drive to systemd-boot and
>> the linux boot partition.
>
>I see nobody has replied.
>
>We discussed this at the Humbug meeting, and none of us had much of a
>clue most because none of us have used systemd-boot.  I gather it's a
>signed EFI shim that does boot loading.  Also, it sounds like you are
>booting Windows from something other than SATA-O (ie, not the C drive).
>That has caused some of us a world of pain in the past.  There were
>some
>claims that grub had magic to handle that - somehow hiding the other
>drives so it looked to Windows as it if was booting from C.
>
>So you have combined using systemd-boot and trying to run Windows from
>something other than C, and it all gets too hard.  There were only two
>suggestions - bring it into the next Humbug meeting so we can all have
>poke at it, or re-arrange your drives so Windows boot's from C.  Linux
>can boot from anything after all ...

I don't know which sata Windows is on but my install procedure with legacy boot was as follows:

Take Linux drives out and install Windows....quietly weep

Take windows drive out (overkill but better safe than sorry)

Put Linux drives in install Linux

Put Windows drive back in and run osprober (a Ubuntu application that has been ported to arch)

Edit grub.cfg and change the windows entry to point to msdos2 as the one it selects is the recovery partition of 8. The run grub-mkconfig

This will boot Linux and windows

I of course made sure that each drive stayed in the same sata position between swaps.

That seemed to work each time under legacy. Under EFI and systemd-boot this will obviously be very different.

Once I have the funds to purchase windows 10 (64bit and 32bit licences are not transferable....) I might backup and bring it along it might make for an interesting evening .

Thanks!