[H-GEN] EFI dual boot with systemd-bood

Andrew Ridgway armistace at riseup.net
Sat Sep 26 07:11:33 EDT 2015

Hi All,

tl;dr: has anyone chain loaded 64bit windows 10 through systemd-boot
windows being on a completely separate hard drive to systemd-boot and
the linux boot partition.

Ok. Now to be a bit more long winded....

I have home built a computer about 6 months ago. It has an efi
motherboard. When I put this computer together I was bastardising parts
from my previous computer including it's 3 hard drives.

1 hard drive contained the boot partition and linux system files
1 hard drive contained my linux home directory
1 hard drive contained windows 8 pro 32bit

for whatever reason when I migrated these hard drives to the new
computer the mother board defaulted to legacy boot and the operating
systems "just worked(tm)" - even Windows!. Whilst I thought this was
magical it meant I got lazy and have let it be.

This computer as mentioned boots in legacy mode and I use grub to chain
load the 32 bit windows 8 which can boot legacy.

It has now come time to do the spring cleaning and I want to install
windows 10 pro 64bit.

This means flipping to efi.

I run Arch Linux and recently installed it on my laptop. My laptop runs
linux exclusive but I keep windows on my desktop for gaming. (Yes Linux
gaming is getting better but some games are still windows only and I
got over fighting with wine to get stuff to work)

In this install it appears that Arch has moved to booting with systemd
-boot (previously gummiboot) as default for efi and I love it.

I have done a lot of googling and I can't seem to find anything about
getting systemd-boot to dual boot windows on a separate hard drive.
Plenty about linux and Windows on the same hard drive but not separate.

In my travels it appears Linux and windows need to share a boot
partition for systemd-boot to work is this true?

I thought before I run head long into this (and buy windows 10 64bit)
and got get some idea of whether this will work.

Will systemd-boot do what I am hoping or am I going to have to work
through the mess that is Grub EFI booting? It seems grub can do it but
I am hoping to drop it.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Sorry about the quality of the writing I have written this in some
haste

Also please let me know if you feel there is a better place to ask this
question.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Andrew