[H-GEN] IT Funding Models

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 21:16:08 EDT 2015

On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 10:52:28 +1000 Gary Curtis <gazilla at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm trying to get some ideas of the different IT funding models out
> there.
>
> The Employment ones...
> 1. Annual Salary (fixed amount per year, no overtime)
> 2. Wage (fixed hourly rate, full hours + overtime)
> 3. Casual Wage (fixed rate, partial hours, no overtime)
>
> The Contract ones...
> 4. Hourly Rate (no project but with some guarantee of hours)
> 5. Day Rate (no project, length of day usually defined)
> 6. Like the above but with some other time period
>
> The Project ones...
> 7. Fixed Quote (to implement a spec which already exists)
> 8. Fixed Quote + some payment to write/assist with spec
> 9. Estimate on rough spec, thence hourly/daily rate to implement
> 10. Retainer + hourly/daily rate for new work
> 11. Maintenance contract
> 12. ????????
>
> I'm particularly interested in what combinations/permutations people
> have seen in the last section.
>
> These may not be the way you are, or have been employed, but things
> you have seen. Did they work?

My last job started off as ad hoc contract with an hourly rate
(sysadmin work, done as needed), so that would be contract/hourly
rate/no project/no guarantee of hours in your parlance.  It morphed into
a part time wage, which you covered already.  The switch was due to a
mutual agreement that I should do a (more or less) fixed amount of
hours, including some general background tasks to fill in my time.  It
worked out well for both sides.

I'm currently between jobs, starting a new one on Monday.  It's a
project based contract, hourly rate, no estimate, but there's a
deadline, which I estimate I can make easily.  Murphy might have other
ideas.  No idea yet how well this will work, never worked for these
people before.

A later job I'm expecting to be turning up, perhaps next year, might be
a project based contract, with a retainer, then either fixed quote or
daily rate.  Dunno, we haven't even started negotiating the details,
this is just based on prior contracts with this client, and things we
have mentioned.