[H-GEN] [kinda-off-topic] F/OSS policy

Kai Jones - Your Independent Candidate for Brisbane Central ask at kaijones.info
Thu Jan 29 20:58:38 EST 2015

Thanks for the feedback Bruce.

I'm trying to make the page general enough for the general public but I agree and have modified the page to more inclusive, ie
"...FOSS is provided under a variety of open and transparent licenses including the GPL (General Public License), BSD and associated licenses..."

That should be inclusive enough without making the page toooo boring, I've been told politics is already boring enough without adding more to it.

Cheers
Kai

From: Bruce Schultz <bruce.schultz at gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, 30 January 2015 10:11 AM
To: Kai Jones - Your Independent Candidate for Brisbane Central; general at lists.humbug.org.au
Subject: Re: [H-GEN] [kinda-off-topic] F/OSS policy

On 30 January 2015 9:28:08 AM AEST, Kai Jones - Your Independent Candidate for Brisbane Central <ask at kaijones.info> wrote:
>[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
>]
>[ Unix-related topics. Posts from non-subscribed addresses will vanish.
>]
>
>Good morning everyone,
>
>Everyone's probably sick of all the political ads and propaganda
>already so I'm only going to post this once.
>
>I am your Independent candidate for Brisbane Central in tomorrow's
>election, I think I may be the only candidate who's got a F/OSS policy,
>one which is written to be practical and objective:
>http://kaijones.info/?page_id=216

This is probably nitpicking, but your introduction is imho inaccurate.

You state: "Free/Open Source Software (FOSS) is software that can be classified as both free software and open source software. FOSS is provided under a license called the GPL (General Public License), this license allows anyone to freely use, copy, study, and change the software in any way."

My understanding is that free software is the GNU definition, hence GPL and associated licenses, while open source covers all of the BSD and xPL type licenses and, while there's a very band in between, the term FOSS encompasses all of that into a big, happy family. "Both free software and open source software" is the middle of the Venn diagram of all of FOSS software, and the GPL is not the only license as your paragraph might imply.

But the intent is good. Good luck tomorrow.

>Any questions, please let me know, otherwise I wish you all a nice
>Friday!
>
>Sincerely
>Kai Jones
>Your Independent candidate for Brisbane Central
>"For positive difference and positive change"
>- I live and work in my electorate -
>www.facebook.com/kaiforparliament
>www.kaijones.info
>ask at kaijones.info