[H-GEN] thank you Russell

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Fri Mar 7 01:54:13 EST 2014

On Fri, 2014-03-07 at 05:35 +0000, Greg.Lehmann at csiro.au wrote:
> Does anybody else remember beenz a past internet currency, that failed
> within a few years of starting?

When it comes to liquid (meant to be universally tradeable, like cash)
virtual things, there has been rather a lot of them: 1ClickCharge,
3PGold, Beenz, ClickShare, CyberCash, CyberCent, CyberGold, DigiCash,
E-Bullion, e-Dinar, e-gold, Flooz, GoldMoney, OSGold, MyPoints,
Millicent, Peppercoin, and probably a lot more. All have suffered the
same fate.

In reality there isn't much difference between Bitcoin and all of them.
I guess some would argue gold is better than Beenz or central server is
better than stored value card or something, but from where I sit it
looks like variations on a theme to me.  The only thing that sets
Bitcoin apart from the pack is the answer to the question: "Who controls
it?"

It may be an acceptable answer to that question is the only thing that
matters.  "My country" would appear to be an acceptable answer.  In the
case of a Bunnings gift card, "Bunnings" would also appear to be
acceptable answer.  I think we can safely say at this point "Fred Blogs,
internet entrepreneur and ideas man" isn't an acceptable answer.