No subject

Fri Jan 31 06:23:24 EST 2014

>From suter  Fri Nov 16 11:16:45 2001
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 10:53:10 +1000
From: James Lever <jamver at adams.humbug.org.au>
To: general at lists.humbug.org.au
Subject: Re: [H-GEN] what was precursor to Apache?
Sender: Majordomo <majordom at caliburn.humbug.org.au>

According to Matthew Taylor (on Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 11:37:52AM +1000):
> was just wondering, before Apache, what webserver was most popular?
>
> I'm not sure if I'm imagining things, but I vaguely recall getting my
> first ISP account with web browsing via a telnet interface and lynx in '95.
> heh.. no javascript pop up windows or spamming back then..

I would have to say it was likely NCSA httpd which apache is based on...

Yup.. it was...   Just had a quick look on the apache site and
lo-and-behold.. we have the following (see bottom).

cheers,
James

--
http://www.visac.uq.edu.au/people/jamver/index.html#sigs

--

How Apache Came to Be

In February of 1995, the most popular server software on the
Web was the public domain HTTP daemon developed by Rob McCool
at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications,
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. However, development
of that httpd had stalled after Rob left NCSA in mid-1994,
and many webmasters had developed their own extensions and
bug fixes that were in need of a common distribution.  A small
group of these webmasters, contacted via private e-mail,
gathered together for the purpose of coordinating their changes
(in the form of "patches"). Brian Behlendorf and Cliff Skolnick
put together a mailing list, shared information space, and
logins for the core developers on a machine in the California
Bay Area, with bandwidth donated by HotWired. By the end of
February, eight core contributors formed the foundation of
the original Apache Group:

Brian Behlendorf
Roy T. Fielding
Rob Hartill
David Robinson
Cliff Skolnick
Randy Terbush
Robert S. Thau
Andrew Wilson

with additional contributions from

Eric Hagberg
Frank Peters
Nicolas Pioch

Using NCSA httpd 1.3 as a base, we added all of the published
bug fixes and worthwhile enhancements we could find, tested
the result on our own servers, and made the first official
public release (0.6.2) of the Apache server in April 1995. By
coincidence, NCSA restarted their own development during the
same period, and Brandon Long and Beth Frank of the NCSA Server
Development Team joined the list in March as honorary members
so that the two projects could share ideas and fixes.

The early Apache server was a big hit, but we all knew that
the codebase needed a general overhaul and redesign.  During
May-June 1995, while Rob Hartill and the rest of the group
focused on implementing new features for 0.7.x (like pre-forked
child processes) and supporting the rapidly growing Apache
user community, Robert Thau designed a new server architecture
(code-named Shambhala) which included a modular structure and
API for better extensibility, pool-based memory allocation,
and an adaptive pre-forking process model. The group switched
to this new server base in July and added the features from
0.7.x, resulting in Apache 0.8.8 (and its brethren) in August.

After extensive beta testing, many ports to obscure platforms,
a new set of documentation (by David Robinson), and the addition
of many features in the form of our standard modules, Apache
1.0 was released on December 1, 1995.

Less than a year after the group was formed, the Apache server
passed NCSA's httpd as the #1 server on the Internet.

The survey by Netcraft shows that Apache is today more widely
used than all other web servers combined.