No subject

Fri Jan 31 06:23:24 EST 2014

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 15:33:05 +1000 (EST)
Subject: Re: [H-GEN] Experiences with Solaris x86
From: "Peter Arnold" <arnoldpj at optushome.com.au>
To: general at lists.humbug.org.au
Sender: Majordomo <majordom at caliburn.humbug.org.au>

> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and  ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.           ]
> [ Worthwhile understanding: http://www.humbug.org.au/netiquette.html ]
>
> Hi,
>
> I've been asked how Solaris x86 stacks up, particularly when compared
> to Linux.
>
> I know how great Linux is, so please, no advocacy.
>
> What I want to know is the pros and cons of Solaris x86. I have used
> Solaris x86 many moons ago and remember that it compared favourably to
> the SPARC systems, but we had problems on the install.

Solaris X86 is still not well supported hardware wise, particularly with
video cards (some cards that support high resolutions and colours have
basic support on solaris) and sound cards (but not many servers have
these). Solaris x86 can run on a laptop but it is a bitch to install and it
sux hardware support wise.... there is NO APM. It's wise to study the HCL
(Hardware Compatability List) before purchasing any hardware.

It may just be me or the crap hardware I use but I seem to get much more
disk corruption with intel than I do with sparc platforms.

On the positive side most mainstream GNU and FSF software is supported (eg
samba, squid, apache, gcc and friends etc) Sun even issue a "Companion CD"
which hasa most things I need already compiled.

The OS and Companion CD iso's are now freely downloadable from sun's site.