No subject

Fri Jan 31 06:23:24 EST 2014

Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 09:42:29 +1000
From: Ron Shafran <ron at hypermax.net.au>
To: general at lists.humbug.org.au
Subject: Re: [H-GEN] [HYPERscan M7]
Sender: Majordomo <majordom at caliburn.humbug.org.au>

> The most important issue for me is not that drives fail but what the
> reseller/distributor does for me when that happens. Just remember your hard
> drive *IS* going to die...not an if but a when (maybe 4 days, maybe 4
> years)...so back up important data.

Speaking sooth.

> Ron also mentioned Sony CDROMs...CDROMs are, in my experience, the most
> likely item to fail prematurely. In recent years they have become commodity

For sure. Highest failure rate of any system peripheral these days
(under normal usage conditions). Not just commodity but disposable, and
'prematurely' hardly has any meaning considering the duration of today's
CDROM warranties.

Under 'abnormal conditions' I'd vote for modems, especially since I lost
two to a lightning strike last week.

> do not perform any worse than the others, I just don't pay a premium for
> Sony any more.

More sooth. Once Sony decided to play the lower price point commodity
game and moved their production to Chinese, Thai, etc. factories they
lost any claim to premium prices as a premium brand.

You've got to congratulate the major Taiwanese players whose
ISO9000-certified manufacturing facilities turn out products the equal
of Japanese of years past.

And around the wheel turns...

Ron Shafran
SC Designs