No subject

Fri Jan 31 06:23:24 EST 2014

>From suter  Wed Oct 31 16:14:57 2001
From: Ewan.Edwards at mincom.com
To: general at lists.humbug.org.au
Subject: Re: [H-GEN] Citrix
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:33:37 +1000

Robert,

I use the Citrix ICA client under Linux on almost a daily basis with little
or no trouble at all.  The servers are NT4.0TSE with Citrix MetaFrame
administered by our IT services group.

I also use an open source RDP client called rdesktop, under Linux for a
number of servers that I administer.   I use this on a daily basis because my
desktop is Linux (RH7.1) and I want to be able to manage my NT domain
controllers, and other servers, from my desk rather than keep walking to and
from the computer room.

The obvious difference between the Citrix and rdesktop clients is that you
don't need MetaFrame to use rdesktop, but you do need MetaFrame to use
Citrix.

Additional comments in favour of rdesktop.
* Potentially a lot less costly on the server side.
* Supports both Win2k & NT4 versions of RDP.
* Open source.
* Builds without any problems at all on RH7.1 Linux..
* The resulting executable is a single binary file less than 100kByte.
* Really fast & reliable under RH7.1 Linux.
* More information and the source tar ball can be found here.
     http://www.rdesktop.org/
     http://bibl4.oru.se/projects/rdesktop/

Against.
* Win2k TS licencing issues need to be worked out.
  (I run my Win2k TS servers only in admin mode.)
* There are problems trying to build the source under Irix.
  (I have no experience with it under Solaris.)
* There are a lot of command line arguments that must be used.
  (Thats what aliases are for I suppose.)

As you might be able to tell I'm a bit of an rdesktop fan.  :-)  I thoroughly
recommend that you have a look, and try it out, before spending any money on
MetaFrame.

Regards,
Ewan

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 12:14, you wrote:
> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and  ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.           ]
> [ Worthwhile understanding: http://www.humbug.org.au/netiquette.html ]
>
> Hi,
>
> Appologies for this slightly off topic question....
>
> We are talking about getting some Windows 2000 terminal servers, with
> Citrix clients.  Does anyone have experience with the Linux/Solaris
> clients?
>
> What about 2000 TS?  Reliability?  Any other comments?
>

> Thanks in advance.
>

> Robert Stuart
> Ph: 61 7 3864 0364
> Fax: 61 7 3221 2553
>
> --
> * This is list (humbug) general handled by majordomo at lists.humbug.org.au .
> * Postings to this list are only accepted from subscribed addresses of
> * lists 'general' or 'general-post'.

If I have trouble with my email, does that mean the internet is full?
information.  If you have received this transmission in error, please delete
it and notify the sender.  The contents of this E-mail are the opinion of
the writer only and are not endorsed by Mincom Limited unless expressly
stated otherwise.