No subject

Fri Jan 31 06:23:24 EST 2014

>From suter  Thu Oct 25 16:46:20 2001
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 16:22:41 +1000
From: Damian Bickhoff <dmpb at dingoblue.net.au>
To: general at lists.humbug.org.au
Subject: Re: [H-GEN] Wanted: console file managers

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 03:30:03PM +1000, Sandra Milne wrote:
>> Does any one know of a Linux file manager package that is like the
>> DOS XT Gold to use?  Perhaps I should say similar interface? I'm not
>> sure of the correct terminology here.

Hrm, I never really managed to get into the console file management
tools, even though I was an avid fan of XTree Gold.  I think I even
remember creating a whole menu system in XTree's internal menu editor.
I did have a brief stint with mc, the Midnight Commander -- billed as a
sort-of Norton Commander clone, but it's (probably) gone far beyond
that.

If you want a lame way to visualise file hierarchies in tree form,
there's always the 'tree' utility, which should be packaged by all
interesting distributions.

> sel - Fullscreen file-selection and execution tool

Haven't tried it.

> vfu - A versatile text-based filemanager

It's ... okay from what I remember.  Not terribly great, either.

Also:

; apt-cache search tree gold
ytree - A file manager that looks like Xtree Gold(tm)

I'm not sure how far along this project is/was.  By the time I found it,
I'd already fallen into the trap ^Whabit of using the command-line to do
file management.  *shrugs*

Off-topic for this thread, but if you *do* manage to run X at some
point, check out ROX.  It's an interesting, light file manager, that can
even be a replacement for the traditional 'panel' session setups.
--
damian, now thinking about everything in terms of bright black and green.