No subject

Fri Jan 31 06:23:24 EST 2014

From: "Hilton Travis" <QuarkAudioVisual at email.com>
To: <general at lists.humbug.org.au>
Subject: RE: [H-GEN] Linux on the Desktop
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 09:26:04 +1000

Hi Rob,

I'm aware of this.  I do believe there was a request for reports on OO
6.0/SO 6.o functionality, and I'm giving my report.

> > Aside from this it is extremely sluggish when loading.
>

> Beta code is full of debugging stuff. Makes it slow.

So, is SO 5.2 full of debugging code too?  It is quite sluggish compared
to MS Office.

> > And for the killer?  SO6 drops the desktop, browser, mail
> client, news
> > client,
>

> Hooray! Less cruft!

Boo - less functionality.

> > frames support in its html editor,
>

> Hooray! Die, frames, die!

I agree that frames should die wherever possible, but what's wrong with
cannot do this, nor will it be able to in the final release as the Team
has said this feature *will not* be re-implemented.

> > and the scheduler/PIM support
>

> It'll be back.

No it won't.  They have removed it, and it will stay removed.  Ask them
- this is what they told me.

> > ... then I really don't see how I can recommend it to my
> > clients.
>

> You reccomend beta software to your clients?

No, not normally, however sometimes I *do* recommend Microsoft software
to my clients, and there's a really, really thin line between beta and
MS final software.  Maybe a grey area would be a better description...

- Hilton Travis