No subject

Fri Jan 31 06:23:24 EST 2014

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 21:38:59 +1000
To: general at lists.humbug.org.au
From: Sandra Milne <silne at optushome.com.au>
Subject: Re: [H-GEN] bnetd & diablo 2
Sender: owner-general at lists.humbug.org.au

At 20:40 23/10/2001 +1000, you wrote:
>[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and  ]
>[ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.           ]
>[ Worthwhile understanding: http://www.humbug.org.au/netiquette.html ]
>
> > As of this morning, I have an install of bnetd that supports diablo 2
> > v1.09. After weeks and months of  testing cvs builds at last it is here!
>
>It is only an open battle.net server, not a realms server.  While I
>acknowledge that it is a good move I would be more impressed if they
>released an open realms server.

it's still *almost* working. we could connect and authorise but still get a
'no realms available' error. i did see on a forum that somebody had it
going, but i haven't really looked into the setup that much so i don't know
if it's something i've done wrong.

>I could already host games and have people connect to them across the net
>like a battle.net server with the regular multiplayer game.

i find it's nicer to play on our gateway than to host tcp/ip games on my
machine which is the gateway (and is therefore open to anyone who wants to
connect to the game from the outside world) my machine is the better of our
bunch and is therefore the host.

also we wanted it for lans where we could possibly have a central host
machine that didn't require shouting across houses "what's the ip of the
game? oi! what's the IP?!" :-)

>Matter of fact I did it just now, and found a nice string of ears demonhide
>sash.

u got diablo 2 going in wine yet? there's a HOWTO for it, and if i had
better than a 400cpu i'd give it a show (might give it a shot anyway if i
get bored this week's meeting)

Sandra.

silne at optushome.com.au
ICQ: 7632763