No subject

Fri Jan 31 06:23:24 EST 2014

From: "Frank Brand" <fbrand at uq.net.au>
To: <general at lists.humbug.org.au>
Subject: Re: [H-GEN] Splash screens
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 08:56:56 +1000

>um, the startup screen is displayed as windows loads. so it has to be a
>certain width and height, and windows will only display the startup screen
>in 640x480 regardless of what your actual desktop resolution is. it also
>restricts the amount of colours to 256 which is quite a shame too.

Yes, I now recall that. You can have anything you want as long as it is
saved as 324X400X256 colours.

Actually, this bit is not trivial. Often video card manufacturers need to
put this functionality into their systems just so the splash screen will
load. MS have been a bit excited about vendors replacing the Win9X splash
screen with their own. If I am not mistaken there has been some court action
in this regard (court action is good and just and the american way when you
are pursuing enforcement of your own IP but is a bastard communist plot when
it is against you). I am not the world's best authority on this but I think
that the logos (I think there are 2 or 3) are actually held in the io.sys
file with a possibility for this default to be over-ridden if there is an
"external file". If you have your own splash screen and just delete the file
or rename it to something other than logos.sys or logow.sys then the
standard Win splash screen should still appear out of io.sys.

Returning to *nix, no I have not encounted the background issue you
describe. I have never really thought of changing the splash screen in GNOME
or KDE etc. You mean to replace it with the logos.sys....*wink*?

Frank Brand