No subject

Fri Jan 31 06:23:24 EST 2014

>From suter  Tue Oct  2 08:52:16 2001
From: "Frank Brand" <fbrand at uq.net.au>
To: <general at lists.humbug.org.au>
Subject: Re: [H-GEN] Multiple machines hanging of telstra ADSL
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 08:36:13 +1000
Sender: owner-general at lists.humbug.org.au

There is a more expensive Alcatel ADSL modem that includes a router. The
last installation I did, I think it cost an extra $499 or something. That
way you could do without the routers (although maybe you need more control
over routing than the modem-router would give). Using the modem router would
not be a redundancy problem as you are only using the one modem with two
router boxes so if the modem goes down, everything goes off line anyway.

You can plug the modem into the up-load link of the hub (the upload link has
two sockets, if you use the socket for chaining hubs together just use a
standard cable but if you use the standard socket use a cross-over cable -
usually, the chaining socket is the socket nearest the edge of the hub and
the standard socket will be inboard of it...they will both be marked 8 or 18
or 24 etc.) The modem will have an IP address that will be your gateway
address. The last one I did has 18 boxes sharing the ADSL modem on a 1.5 Mb
connection. Most people have excess standard cables but few crossovers so it
is easier to use the uplink port with a standard cable.

(Sorry, I am probably teaching Grandma to suck eggs in the above)

I have not used the power settings in Linux to do the wake-up bit...if you
use the modem/router solution you save two boxes and don't need the wake-up
anyway but I can't think of any reason why the network stuff won't work. In
fact, Pacific Internet actually support ADSL on Linux. Also, if you use the
modem router you won't need the 2 am shuffle (unless there is other stuff on
there that needs to be written to another machine and even then you won't
need to swap servers...just copy it to the other machine). If your two boxes
are just routers and do not serve any other function then $499 extra to save
2 boxes and a lot of hassle seems like a good deal to me. If they serve
multiple function (ie mail-server or some such thing) then maybe you can cut
down from 2 boxes to one anyway.

I use the modem router to provide DHCP for internal IP addresses on the
CLass A netwok 10.x.x.x and point each machine to the gateway (fixed IP
Address) on the router and each machine performs as if it has its own modem
connection. It is not a proxy arrangement.

Frank Brand