No subject

Fri Jan 31 06:23:24 EST 2014

>From suter  Mon Sep 24 12:57:03 2001
To: general at lists.humbug.org.au
Subject: Re: [H-GEN] Internet Banking - hidden url's > potential security breaches.
From: ben.carlyle at invensys.com
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 12:21:37 +1000
Sender: owner-general at lists.humbug.org.au

Howdy,

In answer to why javascript is often used to explicitly control which
window the banking session is used, I noticed on the mymail.com.au site a
warning that failure to close the window after reading mail may allow
other users to use the "back" button to read your confidential messages.
It's likely that the banks are making an effort to prevent unwanted
disclosure of your financial details to the "next" user of the system.

I don't think the hiding of the URL is a particularly nasty security risk,
in that control of a DNS server that provides the bank's IP address should
be enough to fake the displayed URL for the entire session. It's likely
that both the lookup and reverse lookups would be tampered with should
this kind of fraud be attempted. Your suspicions about hiding information
as to whether or not a session is encrypted might be a nastier risk,
particuarly if you think you're dealing with someone who has an
appropriate certificate but in reality does not, however I suspect that
the general user population would make the assumptions of security without
checking the usual display indicators even when they aren't hidden.
They're dealing with a bank after all, and the bank would make sure that
no such thing could happen, wouldn't they? ;)

Benjamin.

"bmatthewtaylor at yahoo.co.uk" <bmatthewtaylor
Sent by: owner-general at lists.humbug.org.au
23/09/01 12:01