[H-GEN] Thin client options in 2014

gavin duley gavin at microcomaustralia.com.au
Thu Feb 6 07:00:51 EST 2014

On 06/02/14 21:43, Gary Curtis wrote:
> So... you run a nation-wide business that opted years ago for a
> thin client solution based on Sunrays. You have close to 1000 of
> these units spread across multiple offices running Ubuntu desktop.
>
> Oracle, who we all know bought Sun Microsystems years ago, have
> decided to no longer continue the Sunray line.
>
> You, and all your IT staff, harbour various levels of revulsion at the
> thought of reintroducing anything MS into the business. (apart from
> the occasional recalcitrant who has convinced you in the past to
> allow some Windows box for some nefarious purpose or other).
>
> How do you move forward...?

You can just use cheap PCs as dumb terminals -- see, for example
http://www.ltsp.org/

The maths & computer science department at the uni I did my
undergraduate degree at (Uni of New England, Armidale) did this. All the
computer lab computers were cheap PCs that just allowed users to log
into an X11 session on the server. They ran a fairly minimal install of
Linux, which was just used to boot the machine and make the connection
to the server. No idea exactly how they did this, it was probably a
fairly involved X11 setup.

gavin,

--
Honestly, if you're given the choice between Armageddon or tea, you
don't say 'What kind of tea?'

Gavin Duley
<gavin at microcomaustralia.com.au>
WWW: http://www.gavinduley.org/