[H-GEN] [H-ADMIN] Confirmed Booking: WB/EAIT/Humbug Computer Club

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Tue Dec 9 21:11:59 EST 2014

On Wed, 2014-12-10 at 11:38 +1000, Greg Black wrote:
> * There are several references to the Code of Conduct, but that is an
> empty page. If we have no code, we should remove the references to it
> (which I am happy to do). If we have a code, somebody who knows where
> it is should put it on the wiki.

I am not aware of any code.  Removing references to it seems like the
easiest answer.  But wait at least a week or so for other replies before
doing anything.

I've never been a fan of codes of conduct, and Debian's recent adoption
of one start out as a disaster - it inspired one the longest and
vitriolic series of flame wars I seem in a while.  (The general format
the flame war took is A accusing B or violating the code, B responding
by saying A's accusation was a violation of the code, everyone taking
sides and it spiralling out of control from there.)  However in the end
it resolved itself - oddly enough after one of the instigators of the
code saying he wished he had never proposed it as the flame wars were
making the mailing lists a seriously unpleasant place to be - ie worse
than before the code.  Thereafter people returned to flighting over
systemd and the code hasn't been used in anger again.

So now Debian has a code that no project member is willing to use
against another.  (Posts by non-Debian members is a different matter -
the code is a useful tool the project can use to protect itself from
unwanted trolls.)  A code that on one uses does little good, but it also
does no harm.  If the majority wanted one (particularly if they wanted
to just adopt Debian's, which is very well written) I would be happy to
go with the flow.  But I'm not about to propose adopting one myself.

> * While searching for the code, I found that full text search does not
> work: "The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration
> and was unable to complete your request." I don't know why that
> happens, but it seems like something to fix if possible.

It's caused by me writing protecting the directory where the user
accounts are stored, in order to prevent spammers.  Fixing it requires
figuring out another way to prevent spammers.