[H-GEN] politics at Humbug

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 07:17:13 EDT 2013

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 11:51:15 +1000 Rudolf Vyborny
<rvyborny at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> I am of the strong view that professional societies should not become
> political forums and as societies should refrain from taking stands on
> political issues. There are long standing tradition in this regard for
> all professional societies I know of. I would regard  Humbug as a
> professional society although not all members belong to the same
> profession.  There are also good reasons for my position, membership
> of professional societies is varied and therefore any professional
> society has no rights to express a political opinion in the name of
> all its members. (Or give an impression that  an overwhelming
> majority takes a particular political view.) Regrettably, some of the
> most respected societies (e.g. British Royal Society) recently
> violated this tradition but all of it achieved was eroding  its own
> prestige. I could go on and on on this topic but let me give only one
> more reason, politics at  a professional society and in Humbug
> particularly  spoils the congenial atmosphere.

While I agree with you in principle, I'd like to point out that Home
Unix Machine, Brisbane User Group (HUMBUG) isn't specifically a society
of professionals.  All walks of life, from those that have barely heard
of Unix, to those that have been professional Unix users for many
decades, are what our group is for.