[H-GEN] New Coalition policy: internet and smartphone filters

Tomas Marko Miljenović TomasM at tomasm.tk
Thu Sep 5 05:37:36 EDT 2013

Was just browsing for post-blackout policy announcements from the major
parties, and on the Liberal's policy site[1] came across "The Coalition's
policy to Enhance Online Safety for Children"[2].

>From page 2:
"We will introduce nationally agreed default safety standards for smartphones
and other devices, and internet access services. As has recently been achieved
in the United Kingdom, we expect these standards will:
•involve mobile phone operators installing adult content filters on phones
which will be switched on as the default unless the customer proves he or she
is at least 18 years of age; and
• involve major internet service providers providing home network filters for
all new home broadband services, which will be switched on as the default
unless the customer specifies otherwise."

The document later stresses that these filters will be optional. The filters
will be on by default.

A short paragraph on page 9 indicates a takedown system "to get harmful
material down fast from large social media sites".

Does anyone have any additional information on this new policy? Or know of
similar policies from any other party/candidate?

1. http://www.liberal.org.au/our-policies
2. http://lpaweb-static.s3.amazonaws.com/Coalition%202013%20Election%20Policy%20%E2%80%93%20Enhance%20Online%20Safety%20-%20final.pdf