[H-GEN] Analogue AV capture

Tomas Marko Miljenović TomasM at tomasm.tk
Fri Oct 11 02:30:25 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice finding decent-ish gear for capturing analogue audio and video, mainly from VHS tapes[1].  Unfortunately, my knowledge is quite dated and nothing I've used seems to be available anymore.  I am prepared to deal with software/driver issues in the name of quality or price.

After doing A/V at a couple of LCAs, I was intrigued when the Canopus ADVC110 or ADVC55 were recommended to me by several people. Otherwise I've found 'game recorders' with RCA in, (only) a handful of internal capture cards and a slew of dodgy USB dongles/tuners.  Asides from the latter, I haven't had a chance to actually test anything myself.

I remember seeing adequate TBCs for ~$100 in the past, but can't seem to find any still around for less than $250.

Does anyone have any experience with currently-available hardware?  I'd appreciate any wisdom or horror stories...

Thanks
- Tomas

[1] All video is PAL. I'm looking to capture at (at least) 768x576