[H-GEN] Drupal?

Nick Lawrence n1cklawr3nc3 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 20:52:39 EST 2013

Hi all, I got busy with SSSI stuff, but I'm back again to pursue this idea
of mine for an online conference programme website.

I've written a functional requirements specification, please feel free to
comment!

Functional Requirements Specification for conference programme website

A website, not a smartphone app (we can supply the domain name)
optimised to display on smartphones
built on a common, open platform, that most web developers can work with
provides the functionality of a conference programme only. No requirement
for ticketing, bookings, etc. Just what presentations are coming up in
which room. The website does not track users, or provide any interactivity
besides scrolling, clicking on tabs and clicking on links.

The intended audience is a conference attendee who is checking the
conference programme for upcoming presentations during the conference.

The programme is divided into presentations and breaks
A presentation is a time-slot in an identified room. There would be one to
many rooms with presentations at the same time. A single presentation would
have an abstract and one or more presenters. At some times, eg a plenary,
there is only one presentation in one room and the other rooms are empty.
The time slots in different rooms do not always align with each other, for
example in one room there may be two presentation of a half-hour each, and
in the other room, one presentation an hour long.
A break is a time-slot where attendees gather outside of the presentation
rooms, for registering, morning tea, touring the exhibitor's stalls, etc.
There are no presentations during breaks.

clicking on a presenter's name goes to a page with the presenter's picture,
bio and a list of their presentations

clicking on a presentation's title goes to a page with the presentation's
abstract and list of presenters

clicking on a break's title goes to a page with a description of the break

The look and feel of the website is a ordered list of presentations, with
the current presentation at the top, and future presentations down the
page. Past presentations are removed from the webpage when they expire.
Tabs at the top of the webpage are named after the rooms, clicking on a tab
(room) shows the presentations in that room. Breaks go over all tabs, so
that the break is displayed no matter what tab is selected. A presentation
or break occupies vertical space on the page in proportion to the duration
of the event. The start time of each presentation and break needs to be on
the web page.

The conference organiser needs the ability to alter the conference
programme during the conference and have that change reflected in the
website when users refresh their view. This would allow for speakers to
withdraw, presentations to be shifted around, etc and still publish a
current conference programme. There needs to be a GUI for the conference
organiser to update the programme quickly.

Ta,
nick