[H-GEN] OpenSMTPD - interesting.

Gavin Duley gavin at microcomaustralia.com.au
Sun May 5 23:56:52 EDT 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 7:21 PM, Grant Byers <grant.byers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2 May 2013 19:32, "Stephen Thorne" <stephen at thorne.id.au> wrote:
>
> > Email is very hard to implement correctly.
> >
> > It is even harder to implement it both correctly and be compatible with
> all the shitty email server implementations out there, or all the
> hand-rolled email sending PHP scripts that open a socket to you to deliver
> their mail.

Indeed. I've thought about running my own mail server in the past (just
because I want to) but never have so far, partly because of this, and
partly because I don't want to end up inundated with spam, or worse running
an insecure mail server that could forward on spam.

At the moment I use fastmail.fm for email on my own domains (gavinduley.organd
wodewose.org). Mind you, given how I managed to kill apache recently by
simple absent-mindedness (I started running apt-get distupgrade on my
server in an ssh window, after an hour or so forgot it was still running,
and disconnected my computer from the internet... oops) it might be better
to leave my mail server up to someone else...

I'm still tempted to try out OpenSMTPD, though, even just on a vm at home
for the sake of trying it out. It might even be an excuse to try out
OpenBSD, too. (Even though OpenSMTPD seems to be available for Debian).

gavin,

--
Honestly, if you're given the choice between Armageddon or tea, you don't
say 'What kind of tea?'

Gavin Duley
<gavin at microcomaustralia.com.au> <gpd at sdf-eu.org>
WWW: http://www.gavinduley.org/