[H-GEN] [Linux-aus] LUV considering joining LA

Aguido Davis horatio at puntbow.net.au
Sat Aug 24 03:25:32 EDT 2013

On 24 August 2013 15:46, Arjen Lentz <arjen at lentz.com.au> wrote:

> Doesn't mean the sky can't fall in, and performance in the past is no guarantee for the future, however I think it would be more fair to say that those commenting here simply prefer independence, and more specifically simple continuation of HUMBUG in its current structure and scope. That's fine and why not just day so? Why invent a bogeyman?

It isn't inventing a boogeyman to observe that the arrangement of
being-a-chapter-of-Linux-Australia would inherently not fail
gracefully, and does not possess a clean path to restore from backups.

If LA had a formal chapter structure in place, with chapters having a
defined role, rights and recourse against a Council running in
degraded mode, then this would not be as distinct a concern. Hopefully
something of the sort will come out of this Victorian absorption. I
look forward to seeing the arrangements the LA Council makes to avoid
what happened to some of the chapters of AUUG.

But so it's said: yes, a priori I prefer subsidiarity to
consolidation, both in production software and in LUGs. It gives one
the chance to fail in small, easily recoverable pieces.

Cheers,

Horatio