[H-GEN] new nvidia driver problem

Peter Robinson pjr at itee.uq.edu.au
Sun Apr 14 21:51:10 EDT 2013

On 15/04/13 11:33, Daniel Devine wrote:

> On 2013-04-15 11:21, Peter Robinson wrote:
>> It's not that - we have a lecture recording system that requires
>> 1024x768 for the data projector and I have my laptop screen as a clone
>> and it's useful to have the same resolution so that what I see on my
>> laptop is the same as what the class sees on the data project (and
>> what is recorded). That's the only situation where I need it but it's
>> annoying not to have that facility.
>
> That makes sense.

Well at least some sort of sense - most data projectors around Uni can
have a much higher resolution - I guess they are trying to restrict file
sizes somewhat.

>> I am reluctant to swap drivers in the middle of the semester (or
>> install 13.04 when it comes out) as I won't have time to recover from
>> problems). I usually leave such changes till the end of semester.
>
> I don't think it is that big of a risk, and if you're really worried
> you can make a backup image of your laptop.
>
> http://redobackup.org/ is free and *really* simple to use. It's like
> Acronis, I guess. You can run it as a Live CD (or USB, I assume) to
> take an image and restore an image.
>
> If you need help and can wait two weeks there's a Humbug meeting you
> can come to and we can get it done.

When 13.04 comes out and the semester is over I intend to completely
move to Xubuntu (as I have at home) with a fresh install and so I don't
want to be stuffing around twice.