[H-GEN] Nicest way to maintain mac-IP-DNS mappings on local network?

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Tue Oct 9 20:26:57 EDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 00:18 +0100, Benjamin Fowler wrote:
> I don't suppose there are any gotchas or caveats that I need to be
> aware of, with respect to running avahi to advertise services to Macs
> over the same network? I'm aware that zeroconf runs on different
> ports, but am currently blissfully unaware of any potential pitfalls
> of doing regular DDNS and zeroconf on the same network...

I've managed to avoid thinking about avahi so far.  It is there and runs
because so many packages depend on it, but I've never actually found a
use for it.

Dan's suggestion of using dnsmasq is a pretty good one.  It's downsides
are that it doesn't remember any state between restarts and
configuration is mostly done on the command line which can get
cumbersome for complex setups.  But for simple setups it's drop dead
easy to use, and just works.  I use it in small offices, and it's never
given me a problem.