[H-GEN] In a bind over BIND

Rick Phillips rick at greyheads.net
Fri Nov 9 20:28:52 EST 2012

On Wed, 2012-11-07 at 08:37 +1000, Greg Black wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 6:03 AM, Rick Phillips <rick at greyheads.net> wrote:
>
> > Webmin put that there and I guess I assumed it was
> > supposed to be there.
>
> This is the problem with using these tools for dummies. BIND9 config
> and admin is not actually difficult, just a PITA because it has a long
> history of poor practice behind it, now hard-wired into the code.
>
> The solution, if this is your responsibility, is to either (a) pay
> somebody who knows the subject to come in and sort out the mess while
> training you in it for the future; or (b) buy or borrow one of the
> several recent books on BIND9 and work through it. Hand-crafting a
> named.conf from scratch for the kind of setup you're discussing is not
> hard, provided it is taken carefully. The same goes for the zone files
> once the config is done.
>
> > I get a result now but minimal as the dig
> > complains that recursion is not allowed and does so even when I set it
> > to yes.  Where should "recursion no;" go - external views or options?
>
> Drip feeding us partial problems one by one makes helping difficult.
> If you follow the advice above, this question (and the others that
> will then arise) will solve themselves. The advantage of doing this is
> that you will actually understand the DNS once you've done it.

I have been on this list for about 15 years and can remember when it was
a vibrant helpful list.  I have been using Linux since 1993/4 and can
even remember the excitement about this new (at the time) OS on usenet.
I have been through the tough times when everything (mouse, VGA, network
cards) had to be hand configured so I am a little more than handy with
Linux.  I progressed to managing servers 12 years ago BUT I don't often
have to deal with fresh installs of BIND hence my question.

Your attitude Greg I have noticed over the years is one of supercilious
snobbery and it has no place on a chat list.  It is my opinion that you
have more than anyone headed the demise of this list as a place for
friendly assistance and conversation.

On the other hand, the SLUG list is a very friendly place even though I
haven't needed to go there for some time.  I would have gone there this
time rather than HUMBUG except that their list has been off the air a
fair bit lately.

In the end, I sorted out my problem on my own but I could have done it
some hours earlier with a bit of friendly help.

I didn't need to employ anybody and the book I already own is not quite
up to date.  BIND has changed over the years and some of the syntax has
changed a little and it has certainly (security wise) gotten much
tighter.

Think about things Greg and try to be a bit more supportive if people
ask for a little help OR don't bother - your sarcasm won't be missed.

Rick Phillips