[H-GEN] Choice of distro for server

ciphernaut ciphernaut at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 21:24:20 EDT 2012

Before working with RHEL fulltime I had always enjoyed debian.
stable, solid, and a lot of care always went into making sure it would
upgrade from one release to the next cleanly.  I have never seen how
Ubuntu inherited that quality.

I had also used gentoo for a number of years but finally had enough of
recompiling vlc every other week.

Nowadays I run Fedora on most of my home gear as it is closer to what
I look after at work.  I tend to upgrade major releases 2 or 3 times
before going for the full fresh reinstall.  Things change, often.
Always need top learn about he latest changes and why a service that
was easy to setup now has to be done in a different way.  For me this
is ok as it correlates with my work.

I still love openbsd even though I haven't ran it in almost a decade

It really comes down to what you want to do with this 'server'.   Do
you want to want to spent time administering it? do you want to use it
as a learning platform?  Does it need to be bleeding edge and make
better use of your hardware?

HTH,
Marco