[H-GEN] Choice of distro for server

James C. McPherson james.c.mcpherson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 20:53:15 EDT 2012

On 30/03/12 10:34 AM, Julian DeMarchi wrote:
> On 03/30/2012 10:29 AM, mick wrote:
>> My Debian experience dates to the 6 months before the release of sarge
>>and 2 months after. The difference between a generic (support EVERYTHING
>>in modules) i386 kernel and one for P4 with 2GB RAM with all required
>>support built-in was very noticeable especially when I pushed it to the
>>edge of reality.
>
> Wow sarge, thats like 4 years or more ago... You've had squeeze, lenny
> and soon wheezy in between.
>
> I'd be curious for you to try it again and see how it rates in speed now...
>
> A 500MB word document, I can attest takes at least 10 - 15 mins to load
> in Windows. I witnessed this when my mother created a document that big
> and she asked me why it took so long to load.

All the more reason why one should use a document formatting
system/language (LaTeX ftw) to write things that large rather
than a word processor.

Of course, if you're running FrameMaker or something simmilar
(does anybody still do this?) because you're actually in the
business of page layout then that's different. OTOH, if you
_were_ in the business of page layout, you would have invested
in a machine with a sufficient hardware configuration to run
the application which you depend on.

James C. McPherson
--
Solaris kernel software engineer, system admin and troubleshooter
               http://www.jmcp.homeunix.com/blog