[H-GEN] Choice of distro for server

Julian DeMarchi julian at jdcomputers.com.au
Thu Mar 29 20:34:36 EDT 2012

On 03/30/2012 10:29 AM, mick wrote:
> My Debian experience dates to the 6 months before the release of sarge and 2 months after. The difference between a generic (support EVERYTHING in modules) i386 kernel and one for P4 with 2GB RAM with all required support built-in was very noticeable especially when I pushed it to the edge of reality.

Wow sarge, thats like 4 years or more ago... You've had squeeze, lenny
and soon wheezy in between.

I'd be curious for you to try it again and see how it rates in speed now...

A 500MB word document, I can attest takes at least 10 - 15 mins to load
in Windows. I witnessed this when my mother created a document that big
and she asked me why it took so long to load.

--julian