[H-GEN] Choice of distro for server

Paul Gear humbug at libertysys.com.au
Thu Mar 29 05:22:54 EDT 2012

On 29/03/12 17:16, mick wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 16:25:40 +1000
> Julian DeMarchi <julian at jdcomputers.com.au> wrote:
>> On 03/29/2012 03:04 PM, mick wrote:
>>> debian (was slower than a one legged donkey unless I built a custom kernel and then they bound in selinux and I couldn't get rid of it and it wouldn't boot any kernel I built.
>> In what way was it slow? In my 8 years with debian, never noticed it was
>> slow.
> Particularly is file handling and graphics e.g. launch openoffice with 500 page formated document and display it - up to 20% faster with custom kernel (support for all hardware I had built in, filesystem built in, remove all the support for everything I didn't have).

I would echo Julian's sentiments here.  I've never noticed it being
slow.  However, i never try to open 500 page documents.

For me, the ease of administering Debian is the key reason i would
choose it.  The base distro is lean, but it offers almost unlimited
packages, and i can mix & match them how i prefer.

I agree that Arch Linux is a great way to break your packages often.

Maybe if you're a performance addict you could try Gentoo, but i regard
its "build everything from source" philosophy as retrograde.

Paul