[H-GEN] Debian and booting off a RAID mirror partition

Ben Martin monkeyiq at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jun 21 17:34:31 EDT 2012

Hi,
  You don't stipulate which software RAID you are using. For the parity
stuff you might like to tell the filesystem the chunk size you have
chosen so it can stripe its data efficiently. I'd use bonnie++ and
iozone instead of just copying a few files around so that the machine
can be optimized for the workload you want (eg, do smaller files
matter).

Some idea of performance numbers, though my purdee gnuplots have been
removed from the article it would seem:
https://www.linux.com/news/hardware/servers/8222-benchmarking-hardware-raid-vs-linux-kernel-software-raid

Some other numbers to see if you are where you should be:
https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Performance

Some NAS reviews are also useful for comparison as they just run Linux
soft raids under the covers and have 4-5 disks on a 1-2ghz ARM chip.

Others will also be wondering, how many disks, what type of RAID?