[H-GEN] Idle ARM power numbers 4 bay

Ben Martin monkeyiq at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jun 18 07:44:59 EDT 2012

I've metered one of the Synology ds212j units with a 1.2ghz kirkwood arm
in it, 4watts idle, 5watts idle with gb nic up. both numbers with no hdd
spinning.

It seems most makers are going more in the order 13w idle for 4 bay NAS
with a more modern marvell 2ghz core:
http://web.qnap.com/pro_detail_hardware.asp?p_id=212

That idle number would make sense if the marvell nas was keeping a drive
spinning too, but I can't see that the NAS needs to be 8w more at idle
than a kirkwood. Anyone got one of these 4 bayers and a wall power
meter?