[H-GEN] Moved from ADSL to fibre, need help.

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 05:07:11 EST 2012

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 18:41:34 +1000 Scott Wilson <siridar at gmail.com>
wrote:

> You'll most likely need some sort of "proper" ethernet router - I
> picked up the DGND3700 in preparation for the NBN. Gigabit, 802.11n.

That's what Telstra told me, and eventually they where convinced that
since most "proper" routers where just tiny computers with Linux, a
four core 64 bit AMD Athlon with heaps of RAM running Linux should be up
to the job.

I don't need 802.11n right now, g is sufficient.  I don't think
gigabit's gonna help either, I only got one of those, and I rarely
turn it on.  Not much point, you need TWO.  lol

If my last client had not run out of money and not paid me yet for
Decembers work, I'd just buy a new WiFi AP.  But needing a new contract
is another story.

Now, if you believe the hype, Telstra was gonna give every one free
routers with WiFi.  In reality, it's up to your ISP to do so, mine
was really slack, and failed that.  Which is OK, I was expecting them
to be slack.  I had already done my research and knew exactly how to
get my computer to act like a "proper" router.  In the presence of the
two Telstra technicians who spent an hour being convinced that I know
what I'm talking about, when it came time to do so, my computer
connected in seconds with zero problems.  Took me longer to say "I got
an IP, let's see if I can get a web page."

My ISP is so slack that they phoned me up the day AFTER to tell me
"Telstra might turn up in the next day or two to install your fibre,
you should probably be around when they arrive".

> What sort of ONT/NTD do telstra give you? manufacturer/etc? I'm
> curious in a professional sense, as i've been working for NBNCo since
> September.

I don't want to try to rip my shiny new ONT off the wall to see what's
written on the back, but the front has "Telstra" plastered all over
it.  There is an "Alcatel-Lucent" brand name.  The manual was written by
Telstra, and provides no further clue.