[H-GEN] Linux distributions

Paul Gear paul at libertysys.com.au
Mon Aug 27 16:50:45 EDT 2012

On 08/27/2012 10:58 PM, Thorne, Stephen wrote:
> -1 for Arch, they have some very strange release practices, including
> the 'make /usr/bin/python Python 3.1 and break every script on your
> system' thing they did a while back.

+1 for Stephen's comments.  I've never touched an Arch system whose
package management wasn't already broken when i walked/sshed up to the
machine and wasn't still broken when i left it.  I'm sure that some
people can make it work, but apt-based distros work so well, i can't
understand why anyone would want to reinvent the package management side
of things.  Gentoo even more so - compiling everything from source is
for build engineers.

Paul