[H-GEN] Charlie Stross

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Sun Apr 1 19:37:12 EDT 2012

I was chatting at the last Humbug meeting about a novel I literally
wandered across in my Internet travels.  I rarely read novels so I
surprised myself by thoroughly enjoying it.

The book was "Rule 34" by Charlie Stross.  It explores one facet of what
life might look like given the increasing amount of personal stuff we
put online, combined with the increasing push by law enforcement
agencies (LEA's) to have access to all of it. [1]

It was pretty clear from the book Charlie put a bit of thought into this
sort of thing.  Today in another random encounter I found his latest
blog post, which reinforced that point:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17576745

It's worth a read.  It is the sort of thing you can use to keep your
teenage daughter in line - by scaring the crap out of them.

[1]  Note this proposal from UK today - they want ISP's to record and
store for 2 years all emails, facebook pages, google queries done by
their clients, and give the LEA warrantless electronic access:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17576745 .