[H-GEN] postfix is doing my head in

Paul Gear paul at libertysys.com.au
Mon Sep 5 06:41:18 EDT 2011

On 24/08/11 19:06, Clinton Roy wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I'm no sysadmin, and I'm having a problem setting up postfix in the way I need.
>
> We've got a setup that is apparently called split delivery, where the
> mail for one domain is handled by a couple of servers:
>
> example.com: teachers.server student.server

> The problem comes when we add the frontend mail server to the list of backends:
>
> example.com: teachers.server student.server localhost
>
> This is for the case where the number of special teacher accounts is
> so small that running another mail server for it is pointless.

Hi Clinton,

I didn't see any replies to this, so i thought i'd give you some of my
thoughts, for what it's worth.  I'm sure there is a way to solve it in
postfix, but it means that the solution will be much more complex to
understand.  So my take on the problem is that you should tweak it until
looks more like a problem you know how to solve.  The ways i would
suggest doing this are:

   1. Host the accounts for localhost on teachers.server or
      student.server instead - problem disappears
   2. Create a small VM on teachers.server or student.server or
      localhost and call it specialteachers.server - problem becomes the
      same as the other servers

I know this is not a real answer, but it's a step towards a
configuration that i would much rather support in the real world. :-)

Regards,
Paul