[H-GEN] Wireless broadband issues.

Sandra Mansell sandra at mansell.id.au
Tue Mar 22 18:02:03 EDT 2011

On 23/03/2011 7:52 AM, Carl Adams wrote:

> without doubt this is their intention. Does anyone know if the Linux
> community is addressing this issue? I doubt that anything is being done
> in Oz, but there may be action being taken elsewhere, as with Linux in
> education in the UK.

I can't speak to whether the Linux community is addressing this, but
surely a little bit of research before choosing a wireless broadband ISP
would have been in order after you got burnt so badly by Vodafone? You
could have gone with Internode who use the Optus network and DO support
Linux. They also give you ALL the settings AND you can check your usage
on their website. The modem they sell you is also unlocked so you can
take it to any other network any time you like, or switch it for a
different sim whenever you want. (My husband recently used our Huawei
E1762 in NZ.)

I don't know why you expect vendors to support Linux when it is still
not accepted as a "mainstream" operating system. There are also many
different "flavours" of Linux, are they to support them all? What if
they chose Ubuntu to support and you were a Fedora user? Is that then
still their fault that they don't support your OS of choice?

I get tired of people who knowingly choose a system that very few ISPs
support then complain that they can't get any assistance and things
aren't done THEIR way. If you don't like it, vote with your feet and do
some research on ISPs that DO support the OS you choose to use. (When we
first signed up to Internode we had a helpdesk worker very kindly talk
us through setting up roaring penguin on our gateway machine, something
we had not been able to get from Optus who was our previous ISP. With
Optus, we sucked it up and did our research and got the information we
needed online.)

Sandra.
sandra at mansell.id.au
"Whatever you do will be insignificant,
  but it is very important that you do it."
  -- Mahatma Gandhi