[H-GEN] Vice President's report.

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Fri Jul 22 06:34:36 EDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 17:35 +1000, Rick Phillips wrote:

> I live on the Sunshine Coast and it has never been very convenient to
> visit Humbug on a regular basis although I have been a lurker on this
> list for a long time (maybe a dozen years).  I had visited the club

Likewise, I think it was around mid 90's when I first subbed to this
list.

> The club membership face to face was always welcoming but I regret to
> say that on the list, a request for help years ago used to generate
> sarcastic replies at times and I remember well the flame war about text

This is one of the key reasons I never "joined" as a member, the one
eyed blindness, sarcastic, belittling 'self appointed net cops', who
some of still remain here today. Too many people over the years have
been berated simply because someone did not like the way someone else
typed,  many thought (and likely still do think) they were/are better
than others. I maintained I would never join the organisation whilst
certain people (who not all necessarily ever had a run ins with me, one
did though) remain. Many attitudes need adjusting, even today.

Also, with the conduct of many on IRC, it is certainly never going to be
good for membership drives, Want to be a censoring ban/kick -happy nazi,
join an Undernet or Efnet channel and go for broke.

Unlike SAGE-AU, who price most out of joining, HUMBUG does have very
good fees, no problem there, similar organisations I belong to charge
much the same.

What I see with meeting attendances is simple, Saturdays, afternoons -
Gen Y would be either recovering from Friday night and/or preparing for
Saturday night, Gen X have families, those involve family activities,
including kids sporting events, which can be year round, Gen Y and Gen X
also tend to have personal functions, like BBQ's, family get togethers,
etc etc etc, this means many can not attend so wont bother joining.

Lastly, if you want people to join, you need to give them a darn good
reason to join.