[H-GEN] Vice President's report.

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Fri Jul 22 02:06:49 EDT 2011

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011, Carl Adams wrote:

I wrote (but was not properly quoted):
>> The great irony here (as has been noted before) is that humbug has
>> decling membership when it's core area (home and OSS Unix) is more popular
>> than ever.  Membership in the late 90s was something like
>> 120 when hardly anyone outside of hard-core-geekdom had even heard
>> of Linux and friends.
>
> The reasons for this are obvious, surely. If not, I'd rather not be the
> source of enlightenment.

I assume you're suggesting that since various OSes and apps are easier to
use & manage now that Humbug is less relevant and people are less inclined
to come along.  If so I think you are selling the club short.

If I'm wrong as to your suggestion then I would love to hear your sage
advice.

I think it is singularly interesting that usage of OSS *nix has gone up
_orders of magnitude_ since Humbug was founded and we haven't even been
able to keep numbers static.  Even if Humbug was 1% as popular as it once
was we should still have seen growth.

Rob

--
Email: robert at timetraveller.org		Linux counter ID #16440