[H-GEN] NAS boxes and linux kernels

Troy Piggins troy at piggo.com
Tue Jul 19 02:10:14 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 03:09:34PM +1000, Daniel Devine wrote:

> It is *really* advisable that you keep your storage on a secure
> network. I would suggest moving your server operations to a nice low
> power ARM server such as provided by a Guru/Sheevaplug, Efika MX
> Smarttop or Pandaboard and using the NAS as storage safely behind
> the firewall.
>
> However what you are looking for is the defconfig file. You can
> usually find this with the kernel source at the root (as "config")
> or in arch/[your NAS's CPU arch]/configs/
> If you cannot find it in the source then search the forums.
>
> Which model of ReadyNas was it?

Thanks for the quick reply, mate.  My ReadyNAS is the Ultra 4, latest RAIDiator
version, 3x2TB disks.

Hadn't heard of those "plug" type servers before.  Got a local source for them?
I'd be after one that I can install my own distro onto, I noticed at least one
of those you mentioned uses a customised Ubuntu (Maverick?).  I'd also be keen
on using RAID, is that possible with them?