[H-GEN] Firewall configuration on a remote machine

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Wed Feb 9 17:55:43 EST 2011

On Wed, 9 Feb 2011, gavin duley wrote:

> I don't think there are any, but then I have no access to dom0 (aka the
> host machine). I guess this one of the downsides of using a commercial
> virtual host.

Hi Gavin.  Check with the provider.  Every VPS provider that I've looked
at closely allows console access of some description.  For example, Linode
allows access to a serial console via ssh to an IP not on my VPS.  I
needed to put in an RSA key pair for this to work.  They also offer an
AJAX console through their managememnt interface if you are really stuck.

> I guess the answer would be to backup key files, and then just reinstall
> everything from scratch if it goes wrong. This is easy enough to do,
> even if I've lost access to the machine (there is a web interface to
> allow you to do this). It seems a bit overdramatic, though.

If the VPS provider expects you to reinstall after an error like locking a
firewall then you need a new VPS provider.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Email: robert at timetraveller.org		Linux counter ID #16440