[H-GEN] Changes to Humbug Constitution

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Tue Aug 30 03:06:09 EDT 2011

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011, Russell Stuart wrote:

>> 5.k A quorum of three times the number of executive positions, as
>> defined in section 2a, of the Financial Membership of the Club is
>> required for a Special General Meeting.
>
> My proposal is to change this so the size of the quorum only depends on
> the number of eligible votes, and to make it explicit people voting
> using a proxy are counted:
>
>> 5.k A quorum of half of all eligible voters plus one is required
>> for a Special General Meeting.  Members voting via a proxy are
>> included in the quorum.

I don't like this proposed amendment.  That's actually what used to be
quorum and we had trouble getting quorum several times.  There are
currently (as I understand it) 28 member so quorum would be 15 under this
proposed change.

If we leave it as 3 * number of executive then the quorum would fall to 9
after the other proposed change (which I agree with).

3 * execute was chosen was it made it easier to achieve quorum but also
left the executive as a clear minority of voting members.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Email: robert at timetraveller.org		Linux counter ID #16440