[H-GEN] Changes to Humbug Constitution

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Mon Aug 22 21:31:46 EDT 2011

I've got some feed back from Greg Black and David Seikel - thanks guys.
Based on that I've modified the proposed changes.  Here are the new
versions:

On Sun, 2011-08-21 at 21:52 +1000, Russell Stuart wrote:
> My proposal is to change this so the size of the quorum only depends on
> the number of eligible votes, and to make it explicit people voting
> using a proxy are counted:
>
> > 5.k A quorum of half of all eligible voters plus one is required
> > for a Special General Meeting.  Members voting via a proxy are
> > included in the quorum.

I am altering this to use the term defined earlier in the Constitution:
"voting rights":

5.k. A quorum of half of all members with voting rights plus one is
     required for a Special General Meeting.  Members voting via a
     proxy are included in the quorum.

> b.  In the absence of the President the position of Acting President
>         shall be held by the Secretary, similarly in his absence the
>         Treasurer assumes the position.

As per David's suggestion, I'll get rid of the gender specific language:

2.b.  In the absence of the President the position of Acting
      President shall be held by the Secretary, similarly in their
      absence the Treasurer assumes the position.

> i.  An eligible Financial Member may proxy his voting rights for one
>        Special General Meeting by providing the a member of the
>        Executive with signed written notice of their intent. This may
>        be in physical, or authenticated electronic form.

I'm altering this to make it clear you can only give your proxy to
someone who is eligible to vote on the day:

5.i. A member may proxy his voting rights for one Special General
     Meeting to another member with voting rights by providing a member
     of the Executive with signed written notice of their intent. This
     may be in physical, or authenticated electronic form.

I'll re-post the full text of the changes Friday.